XR991 is a Folland Gnat T.1
- Hot Shots!
Appears as one of the 'Oscar EW-5894 Phallus' Tactical Fighter Bombers used for Operation Sleepy Weasel.
Built in 1964 by Folland Aircraft as c/n FL585, XR991 was first flown on 29 May 1964, and delivered to the RAF on 1 July, becoming a founding airframe of the Yellowjacks Aerial Display Team.[N 1] XR991 became aircraft 9 when the Yellowjacks were reformed The Red Arrows, remaining with the team until the Gnats were replaced with British Aerospace Hawk T.Mk1s in September 1979. At this point the aircraft became maintenance training airframe 8637M with the Royal Air Force College Engineering Flight at Cranwell, before being passed to the School of Aircraft Handling at Culdrose as A2709 on 27 January 1982, where it remained until it was transported to Leavesden on 11 November 1987 for storage.
On 3 August 1988, XR991 was registered G-BOXO by Ruanil Investments Ltd, who retained ownership until 15 August 1989, when it was transferred to the United States of America becoming N1CL.
- ↑ XR991's Yellowjacks colour scheme is currently (June 2014) worn by XS102 (G-MOUR) of the Gnat Display Team.
- ↑ http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=BOXO
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=501
- ↑ http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/XR991.html
- ↑ http://www.gnatdisplayteam.com/History-G-MOUR
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://www.goodall.com.au/warbirds-directory-v6/folland-hindustan.pdf
- ↑ http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1229837/
- ↑ http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=reg&fullregmark=BOXO